I was originally thinking of having a fun, local band (I won’t share the name) play at our wedding. Not just any band, pulled from a phone book or wedding planner’s guide. But a band, who we have supported, promoted and watched play many local venues for the past few years. We thought they would be a perfect fit for our celebration so, as soon as Danny asked me, I asked them. That was last August. I was told “yes” then and yes again in January but when it comes right down to it, they could not commit. And since I don’t want to be stuck with just my iPod and friends with guitars, I decided to take the DJ route.
My friend, Chris, who owns Queen’s Cross Pub recommended Tony as the best DJ from Kamloops, BC. A recommendation was all I needed to make the call. Tony was free that weekend and I booked him on the spot. He also has many DJ’s on staff and can hook you up with local bands and other musicians as well. His website needs a major update but he seemed professional, asked all the right questions and has clearly done this many times over. I still have some questions for him but here are some things to ask/keep in mind when hiring a DJ:
– You need to have enough power for him to run all his equipment. If you are outdoors, you have to make sure there is electrical outlets close by that can handle the draw.
– They need space. At least 2 6-8ft banquet tables are needed for his turntables etc.
– It is ideal to watch a DJ in action, rather than just take your friend’s word for it. This I know but time is something this bride has very little of right now.
– Make a list of your favorite songs and make sure he/she has them.
– Ask them if they have special lighting and back-up equipment.
– Has he/she done a lot of weddings/events?
– How much time to does he/she need for set-up?
If a dj has to travel to get to you, like ours does – you may have to foot the bill for a room. Also, liability insurance and a formal contract may be other things you may want to discuss. Tony required a small deposit to book but that was it. I am putting together my song list right now, so if you have any suggestions or songs you would love to hear – leave a comment below and I will be sure to include it on my list.
I am also looking for a song to walk down the aisle to that is non-traditional. If you have any recommendations, please share.